Saturday, May 28, 2011

Garden Progress

It seems like we have been working on this garden FOREVER and we still don't have anything planted! But, we got the next biggest part completed yesterday which was getting our dirt mix put in the boxes. Dan has spent many, many hours on these boxes...buying supplies, cutting, staining, assembly. He's been doing most of the work up to this point! And boy am I grateful! However, my day will come!



Dan did all of the heavy lifting and the leveling of the ground before we started the mixing.


Growing up, I remember always having to pull rocks out of the garden every year. They seemed to multiply each year. I HATED gardening because I HATED that job. However, Anne seemed to love it! In fact, we had to stop her once we had gotten it to where we wanted it.




Then it was time to get our hands dirty! Luckily we have great neighbors that let us borrow their wheelbarrow. Made the job so much easier! We did a mix of compost, peat moss and vermiculite.


Sophie is teething and so she actually slept most of the day. But, for the little bit that she was out with us, this is how she spent it! Her usual smiling self!



Taking a break while we waited for our lunch to be delivered (Chinese...yummy!) - we were all working hard and decided to reward ourselves!


Almost done!!!



We can't remember if there has ever been a day that Anne has played outside for so long! The great thing about yesterday is that our next door neighbors were also out working in their yard so that meant Anne got to play with Ian in the dirt almost all day! We had to drag her in the house kicking and screaming because she just didn't want the fun to end!


Everything cleaned up and looking pretty! A full day of work never felt so anti-climatic! Wouldn't it be nice if there were plants in there too?


Hopefully next week we can get some plants in the ground and before we know it we'll be enjoying the fruits (or rather, the vegetables) of our labor! Or, if Anne gets her way...marshmallows! At least, that is what she told the neighbor she wants to plant!

3 comments:

Holmes Family said...

Yeah! That will be so nice! We are so excited to see you!

Cheri said...

It looks great! Tell Anne that I also want to plant Marshmallows! Too cute.

Amy said...

yay for yard work! your boxes look so good! and your girls are looking cuter and cuter every day! I wish we could come see it. We had a rock-picking party in our yard because the rocks here are insane...maybe we should just do boxes, too. I hope you get an amazing crop. I recommend cherry tomatoes, they are so easy and are the gift that keeps on giving for little girls who like picking things. teach her to pick the red ones and you are set!