So, here are a few lessons I have learned this past week.
#1: Don't say things like "my daughter is doing great at..."! I made a comment on Taunie's blog about how well Anne has been doing with her sleeping and for the next few days and nights after that, she decided sleeping wasn't something she wanted to have any part of. She started getting up 3-4 times a night again and struggled with falling asleep to take a nap. However, last night she did sleep for 5 hours before getting up to eat and then slept another 4 before getting up again! So, just because it goes well for 3-4 weeks doesn't mean it is smooth sailing. It could change in an instant.
#2: I can't do everything I did before I got pregnant. For those of you that know me, I love to organize. And with that, I also love to change things around. I decided one morning a few weeks ago that I wanted to clear out our 3rd bedroom, which is functioning as an office/junk room, and sort everything out. The first thing needing to be moved was a night stand my dad had built. I started pulling it into Anne's room when I suddenly was in a lot of pain. Long story short...my back was really sore for a week and somewhat sore last week. Well, it had been feeling better so I wasn't thinking much of it when the organizing bug hit me again yesterday morning at my parents' house. I decided to move the pack and play from one area in their spare room to another (while Anne was in it) and just as I got it where I wanted it, my back freaked out again! I just need to realize that my body still isn't 100% and that I'm not wonder woman!!! So, next time I just need to ask for help or make sure that whatever I am doing doesn't weigh more than Anne! And in time, and with some strength training, I'm sure I'll be back to "normal" and that is probably right about when we'll be starting all of this over again with baby #2!
#3: Anne is changing and growing! So, this is an obvious one but it is still amazing to me how much she does change each day! When we first brought Anne home, I was so worried about nursing her. Because of that, it wasn't going so well. I was telling someone in our ward "if I could just get past this, I'll be fine." But then she politely pointed out that once I get past that, then I will worry about sleeping and then it will be crawling, walking, talking, potty training, school, dating,...well, you get the picture! Basically there is never an end to what I will worry about or what she will be doing. I realized this week just how much she is trying to grow up! She is a little gab machine and loves to "talk" to us. She is trying to sit herself up when she is laying down and I even saw her today trying to roll herself over! She made it to her side. She also entertained herself with a fun toy her nana had bought her while I took my shower and got ready for the day. Before long, all of that other stuff will be happening but I realized that I just need to enjoy her at every phase she is in and TRY not to use phrases like "I can't wait until she..." because before long, she will be doing those things and I know that I will be saying "I miss it when she used to...".
Of course, these are all things that any mom already knows and I am sure many of them have told me these things before. But just like in anything we do in life, we sometimes either don't believe it or just don't understand it until it happens to us. I am thankful that I now get the chance to experience all of these things and more and also that I have such great women in my life that I can look to for an example!
Pesto Quick Bread
6 years ago
3 comments:
I think these are lessons that all moms learn! It's so true about how you said that you don't really think things will be like others tell you it will be like. I have the tendency to think, "That's you. It will be different for me." Then we I go through something I realize that's what everyone was trying to tell me in the first place. O well sometimes it just doesn't sink in until we go through it!
Cheri
I know that as our children grow so do we and it's an incredible feeling to know we've been intrusted with these precious spirits! All the lessons we learn will only make us stronger and it's great we have family members and friends to help us along the way. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and for being a great example for me to look up to! Love ya, Jess
Yep, you're a mom! We are all constantly getting reminders that things are always changing (especially when it comes to kids), that our life isn't what it used to be, and that many many people have been through it all before us. That doesn't make it any less special though. Enjoy it! :) (and did you predict that I would laugh when I read this? because if you did, you're right!)
Post a Comment